Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse Outstanding Natural Area
This 120-acre park is located at the northeast corner of U.S. Highway 1 and Beach Road (County Road 707) in the Village of Tequesta, FL. The entrance is on the north side of Beach Road, 1/4 mile east of U.S. Highway 1.
The park hours are from sunrise to sunset.
The Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse Outstanding Natural Area (JILONA) is a 120-acre site that contains lands owned by the U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management (BLM); the U.S. Coast Guard; and the Town of Jupiter. Palm Beach County manages 78 acres of the natural area under a cooperative agreement with BLM, with the assistance of the Village of Tequesta. The managed area contains Florida scrub, maritime hammock, and mangrove swamp natural communities. Volunteers planted over 6,000 mangrove seedlings as part of a two-acre tidal wetland restoration project on the north side of Beach Road. The entire 120-acre site has received federal designation as an outstanding natural area through BLM's National Landscape Conservation Area Program. The part of the site on the south side of Beach Road lies within the Town of Jupiter and contains the historic 1860 Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse and Museum, the George Washington Tindall Pioneer House and the Town of Jupiter Lighthouse Park. The Loxahatchee River Historical Society provides scheduled guided tours of the lighthouse. The natural area is part of the Northeast Everglades Natural Area. Park amenities include: a parking area for 7 cars and 1 bus; a bicycle rack; 2 kiosks with educational exhibits; an accessible nature trail leading to a boardwalk ending at a covered observation platform; and natural-surface hiking trails. Hiking, photography, wildlife viewing, and other passive recreation activities are allowed on the site. There are no restroom facilities or drinking water in the natural area.
Share This Page
500 Captain Armour's Way
Jupiter, Florida 33469